Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Tip Top and Dress: 2016 nani IRO collection sew

To those of you who have found me via Petit a Petit and Family, hello! And thank you for coming all the way over to my little corner of the sewing world. 

Now that you have seen the Ash top that I made using that lovely grey nani IRO Pocho fabric, I would like to share with you the second item I made using fabric from the new collection. Just a warning: picture overload!



I used the deep blue Komorebi ("sunshine filtering through foliage" in the "shade dice" color). This is what Naomi Ito has to say about it: 

"Komorebi - the sunshine that shines through the leaves - is like rainbow-color wind, or a fragrant breeze. It brings forth nice feelings which reminds us of those days we all surely miss. Lights dance, and flowers start to sing with delight. This textile brings out such a calm and quiet happiness " - Naomi Ito (translation via Miss Matatabi's Etsy shop)

As soon as I read those words and saw the fabric, I knew it had to become a dress. A fun, swingy dress with pretty sleeves that would be good for twirling. Enter the Tip Top, Tunic & Dress pattern. If you missed it, I made about 5 of these dresses during testing because it is THAT addictive. Seriously, I could not stop myself. It was kind of embarrassing. But wow, I love this pattern. 



My daughter measures a size 4 in the chest for this pattern, but one very important thing I neglected to do was to lengthen the dress to size 5 according to the size chart. Oops. I think it still works, though, and the fit is such that I think she will still be able to wear it for a long time as a tunic and also as a top. I could possibly add some lace to the bottom, maybe, as I did with the grey circle skirt I made, but I really like the simplicity of this dress. It showcases the fabric nicely.



I love the flowers on this print. They really do make you feel like the light is dancing and the flowers are singing with delight. 

I debated for a long time whether to go with the pleats for the neckline because I love that look so much, but as you can see, I opted for the gathered neckline in the end. My daughter has been complaining a bit of late about closures bothering her skin, so I thought simplest is best in this case. The problem is that the elastic I used was different from the one I am used to, and looking at the pictures, I think it's too stretchy. Hopefully the gorgeous fabric will distract you!


Thank you so much for visiting and if you sew with nani IRO fabric, I'd love to see/hear about it! And more points if you use a Japanese sewing pattern -- you can join everyone and post in the Japanese Sewing Patterns FB group and participate in Mie's linky party here

Happy sewing!

42 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I think nani IRO makes everything look like art!

      Delete
  2. Aaah Petit à Petit patterns + Nani Iro fabrics = LOVE ♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree with you, Soso! Thank you <3

      Delete
  3. Omg Emi! They are both truly AWESOME

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Tone!!! <3 and OMG love your profile photo!!! :)

      Delete
  4. ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL, really, really.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am speechless! This is amazing. Your choice of fabric for the dress and the double sleeve... swoon! Thank you so much! <3 <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Celina! You know how much I love this pattern! Those sleeves are my favorite <3

      Delete
  6. so so gorgeous and dreamy!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Indu!!! It's such a dreamy fabric, isn't it? xxx

      Delete
  7. So excited to see your post Emi! So beautiful, one of my favorite dresses as well and that fabric...just love!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Gabriela! It is such a magical dress -- I loved your versions as well! So beautiful!

      Delete
  8. Emi!! This is pure art! I keep on staring at your pictures... This has become for sure one of my favourite dresses for inspiration. I'm in love!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Fatima!!! You are too, too kind! It means so much to me to hear you say that because I love your sewing!!!

      Delete
  9. Is lovely Emi! I think the fabric is so perfect for that pattern and it seems that your daughter is enjoying her new dress. Really beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Maria! My daughter absolutely loves her dress (the twirl factor really helps), and I am in love with this fabric!!

      Delete
  10. Emi, I think you have chosen the best pattern possible to showcase such a gorgeous fabric. I am sure your girls will love wearing it as a dress, and later on as a tunic and a top. Does your girl like the feel of this fabric? I recently purchased some Nani Iro double gauze, and it is divine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jenya! And yes, she loves this fabric. I think double gauze is her favorite fabric to wear. She never complains when she wears it, and she has pretty sensitive skin -- so that's my excuse for getting more of it, haha!

      Delete
  11. What a perfect style of dress to showcase that stunning fabric. I love the diagonal line of flowers up the front. Feeling lots of Nani Iro envy right now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Marisa! It is one of my favorite dress patterns, and I love all the options. I thought with that line of flowers, it would be best to go simple. I hope you treat yourself to some nani IRO someday!!

      Delete
  12. Replies
    1. Ines, thank you so so much, my friend!! xxx

      Delete
  13. This might be my most favorite Tip Top ever. GORGEOUS!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Mie!! Stop!! I think you are going to make me cry! I am so happy to hear that (because I really love it too).

      Delete
  14. So much beauty in every picture! Lovely girl, lovely fabric, lovely dress! Ps: Thanks for the FB group suggestion, I will check :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! And I really do hope you join the FB group -- it would be so nice to see you there!

      Delete
  15. perfect fabric-pattern pairing. dreamy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Jodi! I am so happy you like it -- I was hoping to capture some of the joy she felt when she put it on.

      Delete
  16. This is a perfect dress! You are amazing! ❤️ Just love everything about it! 😘😘😘😘

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Patricia, you are the best! You always know how to make a girl feel good about herself xxx

      Delete
  17. Tip-Top dress and Nani Iro is a perfect match! The pattern is adorable and this new fabric is amazing it could only became something beautiful! Love it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Maria! I was nervous cutting into it, but I think in the end it became what it was meant to be, lol ;)

      Delete
  18. Gorgeous! I want one, too - exactly like that! =D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Me too!! I think we need to pressure Celina to work on a women's version ;)

      Delete
  19. What an absolutely adorable dress!! and your daughter looks so sweet twirling about happily in it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Carolyn!! She absolutely loves the dress -- but I was pretty sure it would be a hit with her because she has loved all the Tips that I've made her so far ;)

      Delete

 
Images by Freepik